Re: Review of Draft recommendation page

I don't think necessarily this is the right place for it, but this prompted me to wonder - is there any scope for making recommendations in terms of current data practices that might be adopted to better enable move to LD for libraries?

This is something we've been discussing with cataloguers following our work in the Lucero project and based on our experience of trying to convert MARC to LD
- thinking of things like... In MARC21:

Use X00 $$4 and X10 $$4 to indicate relationship between person and item catalogued
Include Authority identifier $$0 in all applicable fields - e.g. 100; 650 etc. etc. (to enable linking to authority sources such as VIAF)
Ensure accurate use of fixed length fields (LDR, 006, 007, 008 etc.)

There are quite a few places in MARC where identifiers or encoded values can be recorded, which would map to existing LD URIs - the more these are filled out, the easier a useful transformation to LD might be

Any support for this idea? Or is it out of scope/too late?

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com