RE: Recommendations: URIs

Jakob Voss wrote:
> A good example for the problem with one-to-one correspondences:
>

> my:x my:hasISBN "0-486-22543-7" .
> my:x my:hasISBN "0486225437" .
> my:x my:hasISBN "9780486225432" .
> my:x my:hasISBN "978-0-486-22543-2" .
> my:x my:hasISBN "9 78048 622543 2" .
>

> No uniqueness without identifier normalization. But then you can also
> craft an new URI/URN namespace.
>

> my:x owl:sameAs urn:isbn:9780486225432
>
> As normalization cannot be simply defined in RDF, at least a broad
> identifier syntax would help:
>

> tbox:hasXYZIdentifier a rdf:Property ;
>    rdfs:comment "has XYZ identifier" ;
>    rdfs:subProperty of dcterms:identifier ;
>   tbox:matchesRegularExpression "^[A-Z0-9]+$"

As an alternative to coining a custom tbox:matchesRegularExpression property, the tbox creator could define a custom datatype for ISBN instead and specify the pattern restriction there. For example:

<xsd:simpleType name="isbn">
 <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
  <xsd:pattern value="^[A-Z0-9]+$" />
 </xsd:restriction>
</xsd:simpleType>

This "isbn" datatype could then be set as the rdfs:range on the tbox:hasISBNIdentifier property in place of tbox:matchesRegularExpression. This would create a slight echo effect between the property name and the datatype, but it seems worthwhile:

my:x tbox:hasISBNIdentifier "9780486225432"^^tboxx:isbn .

Jeff