RE: schema.org and libraries

Bernhard,

I haven't looked closely, but my impression is that they are creating 1)
yet another RDF notation (similar to RDFa) and 2) yet another kitchen
sink ontology (similar to dbpedia-owl). An RDFS+OWL interpretation of
the latter has already been started:

http://schema.rdfs.org/

OWL has mapping capabilities, so I'm sure many of these overlapping
ontologies will get reconciled at that level eventually. I see that
schema.org has a mechanism to "extend" existing vocabulary terms
(presumably mappable to rdfs:subClassOf and rdfs:subPropertyOf). Their
"EBook/KindleBook" example of extending "an enum item" has me wondering
if that feature is some weird variant of SKOS:

http://schema.org/docs/extension.html

I suspect that microformats will be less intimidating for developers
than RDFa, but I still think the Cool URIs (Linked Data) patterns with
separate RDF documents will be more forward-compatible. As the Linked
Data tools get better and more RDF datasets get supplied in bulk, I
suspect the desire to embed semantics in HTML will die off.

Jeff