Re: Recommendations: URIs

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 04:50:42PM +0200, Lukas Koster wrote:
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:50:42 +0200
> From: Lukas Koster <l.koster@uva.nl>
> To: public-lld@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Recommendations: URIs
> Sender: public-lld-request@w3.org
>
> I'm not sure who said what anymore ;-)
>
> Let me try to give a very simple summary (for my own understanding). And
> I'm simplifying enormously!
>
> - Libraries should assign URIs to their own things (these URIs identify
> "instance data", in any case books; but also authors and subjects)
> - These things can be described elsewhere (with global URI) or locally
> (with local URI)
> - Libraries should assign URIs for relations between their things (these
> URIs identify "ontology" or "vocabulary" data: thing 'book' relation
> 'written by' thing 'person')
> - These relations should be described elsewhere, as part of an ontology
> or vocabulary

I agree but would prefer to say that libraries should "assign"
URIs to identify their own things, then "use" URIs (described
elsewhere) to designate relations between their things or to
other things.

The use of "assign" both for "declaring URIs" and for "re-using
URIs" could be confusing.

Tom

--
Tom Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>