Re: VS: Recommendations: URIs

> On 27 Apr 2011, at 10:27, Emmanuelle Bermes wrote:
> Libraries have a story of being concerned with persistence of
> identifiers, which has led to the creation of schemes such as DOI,
> URN, ARK etc. The advantage is to guarantee the central authority. But
> it tends to create undesired complexity. Maybe even if it's a
> non-library problem, we should tell libraries that HTTP URIs are OK if
> they are managed well.
>
> +1 to that!

+1 from me too ... it would be really great to see recommendations
that specifically presented URLs (HTTP URIs) as a logical and viable
alternative to identifier schemes that are typically more trusted in
the library space: URN, ARK, DOI, Handle, etc.

To paraphrase John Kunze: "Just because the URL was the last thing to
see a resource alive doesn't mean it was the murderer." :-)

//Ed