Re: Issues and recommendations

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> In fact, there could be particular roles for libraries in this space,
> building on their traditional role as preserver of culture:

Preserving culture and data are pretty different things, that require
quite different expertise. To some extent I think it remains to be
seen whether libraries are up to the challenge. The support from
libraries for the International Internet Preservation Consortium [1]
is a good example of the sort of work that could be done in the Linked
Data space by libraries. I'd characterize this as an opportunity more
than a real actualized benefit though.

> "Library in this report refers to a collection of information resources
> curated for a designated community and providing services around those
> resources. In this definition, libraries may be public or private, large or
> small, and are not limited to any particular types of resources."

I like this focus on the collection of materials instead of the
somewhat anachronistic professions. So in your mind would Wikipedia
count as a "library"? How about Europeana, or arXiv.org?

//Ed

[1] http://www.netpreserve.org/about/index.php