RE: Non- and Partial-FRBR Metadata

Quoting "gordon@gordondunsire.com" <gordon@gordondunsire.com>:

> There are no such restrictions in the inverse direction, so a Work
> does not need
> to have an Expression, etc.

Gordon, I am not sure this is true, that a work does not need an
expression. The FRBR diagrams show explicit relationships between work
and expression and expression and manifestation, but no such
relationship between work and manifestation.

The text (2008) describes work thus:

"We recognize the work through individual realizations or expressions
of the work, but the work itself exists only in the commonality of
content between and among the various expressions of the work." (p.17,
PDF)(http://archive.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr_current3.htm#3.2)

So it sounds like a work is a sum of its expressions, and without an
expression there is no work.

In addition, the FRBR "attributes" are very strictly bound to the
entities, so it appears that you cannot have, for example, a language
of text if you do not have an expression entity.

Or has some thinking changed since the text was written?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net