Schema representations of SWAP (was Re: Library data diagram)

Hi Jeff,

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 05:06:53PM -0400, Jeff Young wrote:
> I'll try to mock up EPrints/SWAP in UML/OWL/XML Schema as I imagine it.
> >From there, we can compare/contrast it with DC application profile
> approach to see where the overlap and gaps are.

That sounds like a great approach.

As far as I know, the official representation of SWAP is still
the one at [6].

For the purposes of your comparison, however, you might want to
look at Mikael Nilsson and Fredrik Enoksson's representation of
SWAP [1] using an experimental syntax for embedding structural
information about a Description Set Profile in a MoinMoin
wiki document.

An open-source tool [4] can be used to extract that embedded
information to an XML representation [2] as per the DS-DSP
working draft [5].

Comparing the DC-DSP-style XML representation in [2] to
your UML/OWL/XML Schema could be a good way to focus on the
types of constraints modeled and the sort of validation
and functionality intended to be supported in each case.
Mikael's research group, for example, experimented with
using such XML representations to configure metadata editors.

Tom

[1] http://dublincore.org/scholarwiki/SWAPDSP
[2] http://dublincore.org/scholarwiki/SWAPDSP?action=DSP2XML
[3] http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/10/06/dsp-wiki-syntax/