Re: documenting library linked data sets

Hi Ross,

I don't know the full background of the discussion here, but just
wanted to add my €0.02 as a frequent CKAN contributor.

On 14 Oct 2010, at 17:48, Ross Singer wrote:
> I didn't hesitate putting the data sets I manage on CKAN,
> but I would feel less comfortable putting somebody else's data set on
> there for a variety of reasons that I'm not sure I can really
> articulate.

I add packages for other people's data to CKAN all the time. I do a
search or two first to see if a package has already been created for
that dataset. If it's not there, I create it. I also update packages
created by other people, especially to add better descriptions, which
are often lacking.

And let me say that I think it would be absolutely great if this group
decided to make an effort to represent the linked library data world
in CKAN! Anja and Ian Davis and myself did quite a bit of work already
to cover that area, but there's still a long way to go.

One more thing: CKAN has a feature called “groups” that might be
useful for you. Groups are collections of packages that can be locked
down so that only a group admin can add and remove packages from the
collection. The packages themselves can still be edited by anyone
though. We use this for the lodcloud group to add an extra level of
review.

Best,
Richard