RE: Linked Data URIs in MARC Authorities

I agree this would be a perfect stepping stone for Linked Data, but I
need a solution that will work with existing records where the 001 has
already been assigned.

I agree with Karen that an 0XX field would be best. An 035 "System
Control Number" looks promising:

http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad035.html

Unfortunately $u hasn't been formally associated with 035. Would systems
break if it appeared experimentally?

Here's some hypothetical 035 field language I could imagine adding to
the standard to make MARC Authorities more Linked Data-friendly:

035 - System Control Number
$u - Uniform Resource Identifier
	Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) that identifies the referent
of the authority record (i.e. the thing the authority record describes).
	May be repeated.

Jeff

Of