Re: frad:Person and foaf:Person

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Quoting "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>:
>
>> Skosxl:Label treates "names" as first class objects. There is a  solution
>> here somewhere, but we need to separate the identity of  "the name" from
>> "the thing". Skosxl:prefLabel/altLabel do that.  Authority is also important
>> when naming and skos:inScheme helps there.
>
> Perhaps I don't understand the difference between SKOS and Skosxl, but my
> reading of the use of labels for both of those is that you are providing the
> label for *something*. In authority data, the authoritative name (the MARC
> 1XX) *is* the thing. At least, that seems to be what FRAD is saying.

My understanding of SKOS vs SKOSXL is just that in XL the content of
the label is itself a first class thing. Which can be useful when you
want to say other things about the label. So in this case it would
give a kind of double-indirection in that with this FRAD/MARC stuff we
are also applying the label to a thing that stands for a person's
name.

So we'd potentially have
1. the person as a thing
2. the person's name as a thing
3. the label for the person's name as a thing (if using skosxl:)

Dan