Re: Slides for Berlin Data Workshop

Hello,

This is my first email to the JSON-LD CG mailing list, so let me
introduce myself: I am Antoine, working on semantic web technologies
since 2004 as a researcher. I participated in the RDF 1.1 working group,
quite actively, where my primary interest was RDF semantics.

Concerning your slides, Gregg, on slide 2, you say "The only reasonable
interpretation of graphs named via blank node (...) is that the blank
node denotes the graph it names".

Graph names can be interpreted in many ways, lots of which are
considered reasonable by those who advocate them.

In fact, the very people who introduced the concept of named graphs
(Carroll et al. in 2004) defined a formal semantics according to which
an RDF interpretation I satisfies ("conforms to", in their words) a
named graph (n,g) iff I(n) = (n,g), that is, the name is interpreted as
the named graph *pair*, not the graph.

Many people have used the idea of quads (that can be seen as a syntactic
variation of the concept of named graphs) in very different ways, some
of which are implemented in triple stores (e.g., spatio-temporal triple
store Strabon).

In any case, defining the meaning of a JSON-LD document is not part of
the JSON-LD group's mission. JSON-LD defines how to map a JSON-based
format to the abstract RDF structures, then people interpret it as they
want, possibly following other specs like RDF Semantics, OWL, SWRL, or
N3logic.

Similarly, slide 5 is not about "Reasoning in JSON-LD": it is explaining
how to map N3 formulas to JSON-LD. Then people can decide to interpret
JSON-LD documents as N3, following slide 5 representation, and do *N3
reasoning*, not "JSON-LD reasoning". They could also just map this
representation to a normal RDF dataset and apply other kinds of reasoning.

Best,
--AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann