Re: Slides for Berlin Data Workshop

> On Feb 25, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
> On 2/23/19 5:50 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>> The format for the Berlin Data Workshop [1] remains unclear, but I’ve prepared just a couple of slides to describe one way in which Anonymous Named Graphs in JSON-LD could support the property graph use case.
>>
>>> https://json-ld.org/presentations/JSON-LD-Support-for-Property-Graphs/ <https://json-ld.org/presentations/JSON-LD-Support-for-Property-Graphs/> <https://json-ld.org/presentations/JSON-LD-Support-for-Property-Graphs/> <https://json-ld.org/presentations/JSON-LD-Support-for-Property-Graphs/>
>> There’s a short overview of new things in JSON-LD 1.1, and as a bonus, a sketch of how Notation3 reasoning might look in JSON-LD. (Hint, we really only need to invent a way to describe universal variables at the syntax level; reasoning should be universal based on obvious projections from Notation 3. The required extensions to RDF Datasets and better description of reasoning semantics are work to be done elsewhere).
>>
>> Gregg Kellogg
>> gregg@greggkellogg.net <mailto:gregg@greggkellogg.net>
>>

>> [1] https://www.w3.org/Data/events/data-ws-2019/schedule.html <https://www.w3.org/Data/events/data-ws-2019/schedule.html>
>>

> Hi Gregg,
>
> You have the following in slide #3:
>
> @prefix : <http://bigdata.com> <http://bigdata.com/> .
>
> I think you had the following in mind, right?
>
> @prefix : <http://bigdata.com#> <http://bigdata.com/#> .

That’s what I would have used, but it comes from from the Blazegraph page that introduces Turtle* [1]. Also, see Hartig and Thompson’s paper [2]

I wanted to stay close to the example, but I would imagine that such a change wouldn’t be objected to.

> Also, what does Canonical Turtle* mean?
>
> <<:bob foaf:age 23>> isn't part of the current Turtle spec, as far as I know.

Note the “*” part of Turtle*, again from the Blazegraph page on Reification Done Right. But, I should probably use “RDF*” instead.

Note that I’m not endorsing this, but it’s been making the rounds lately as a way to handle property graphs in RDF. As I say, I believe anonymous named graphs better suit this use case, and leverage existing standards.

Gregg

[1] https://wiki.blazegraph.com/wiki/index.php/Reification_Done_Right
[2] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1406.3399.pdf