Re: Framing and Query

I agree too. JSON-LD querying may be something to get back to, but it should be it’s own spec. Framing was always intended to be a core algorithm, but was left out of the JSON-LD API doc because of timing issues. Once some of the existing issues on framing are addressed, I think it is more that useful. Querying could build on top of it.

I have a branch with updates that I’m not quite prepared to merge yet, but comments are welcome.

https://rawgit.com/json-ld/json-ld.org/issue-110-frame-matching/spec/latest/json-ld-framing/index.html

We might want to think about some forward looking changes to replace certain framing flags to be more in line with what a hypothetical query variation might be.

* @explicit could be eliminated if we had a wild-card in the property position. Then, each property listed would be used to match, and any other properties would be added if the wildcard was present.
* @embed could be eliminated if the value is a node object which is not a simple node reference.
* @requireAll could be implied, with the addition of a @optional value, similar to @default. This sets up for optional query support, is more precise as to which properties are optional.
* We should determine if @omitDefault has real-world value.

A hypothetical frame might be the following:

{
  “@context”: {},
  “@type”: “Library",
  “name”: {},
  “description”: {“@optional”: {}},
  “contains”: {
    “@type”: “Book”,
    “@any”: true,
    “contains”: {
      “@type”: “Chapter”,
      “@any”: true

In this case, normal frame-matching structures such as {} and [] could stand for query filters. A future query spec could expand on the framing syntax.

Anyway, most important now is to complete work on issue #110 for merging, and consider other open framing issues.

Gregg Kellogg
gregg@greggkellogg.net