Re: Whither the schema.org JSON-LD context?

+Cc: Guha

On 6 January 2014 18:48, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:
> For some time, we've been expecting schema.org to publish a json-ld context at http://schema.org/ via content-negotation when the request is made with an accept header including application/ld+json. On behalf of the Linked JSON Community Group, I'd like to get an update on this.
>
> To get around this, many (most) JSON-LD tool suppliers have provided their own context based on the schema.org vocabulary definition, but this is prone to error, and difference of implementation between the various tools. I understand that there could be some concern about excessive requests for the context, when it's not necessary, however, it's hard to see that this would even approach the number of requests for http://schema.org/ itself, from tools that encounter that in HTML.
>
> Any timeline on when this might be available?

I think it's reasonable to expect a static file published this
quarter. However you're right that we do have concerns about the
schema.org *website* forming an integral part of numerous unknown
software systems and applications. It ought to be possible to do
useful things with schema.org-based json-ld without a dependency on
the Web site.

W3C's experience with XML parsers that auto-fetch
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd and
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml when parsing XML is relevant here:

Excerpting from
http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic/

 "Handling all these requests costs us considerably: servers,
bandwidth and human time spent analyzing traffic patterns and devising
methods to limit or block excessive new request patterns."

If someone has millions of schema.org-based JSON-LD documents that
they want to parse into RDF or otherwise consume via json-ld tooling,
are there code snippets and examples for the popular toolkits that
make it likely the schema.org will see one request (per session, day,
application invocation etc.) rather than millions?

If JSON is the new XML and JSON-LD is the emerging best practice for
interoperable JSON, it isn't unreasonable to expect XML-levels of
usage. So let's try to learn from the W3C XML DTD experience.

Dan