Re: Framing by reference/value

cool ok, thanks

________________________________
 From: Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>
To: Julian Everett <julianjeverett@yahoo.com>; Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>; "public-linked-json@w3.org" <public-linked-json@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:29 AM
Subject: Re: Framing by reference/value

On 08/12/2014 10:42 AM, Julian Everett wrote:
> So I think I now have a working version of the Javascript library with
> the required behaviour (I'm still adding tests for indirect circular
> references via sets, etc - but so far all are passing). Before I
> continue, I just wanted to check my logic with you against the framing
> algorithm http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld-framing/#framing-algorithm
>
> What I have done is to remove the whole of 4.4.4, on the basis that if
> you can detect a circular reference and block it prior to injecting it
> then you never need to do a 'Remove Embedded Definition' subsequently.
> I've then added checks for circular reference injection prior to the
> recursive calls at 6.2.3.1.1 and 6.2.3.2
>
> The circular reference check works by traversing back up the chain of
> resource->parent['@id'] links in the 'map of embeds' to ensure that the
> injected resource is not a direct or indirect ancestor of the current
> embed target.
>
> Any obvious holes in this logic? FYI one thing making feel a bit nervous
> :-) is that I don't entirely get the point of the embed processor option
> (although I can see why it makes sense inside a framing context):
> setting that to false basically means don't frame doesn't it, as the
> only output will be the set of root resource URIs?

It seems ok at first glance, but I'll have to take a closer look when I
can. We definitely want to keep the old behavior around as an option.
Framing is currently being used to filter graphs that will be
digitally-signed, and creating duplicate data (as aggressive embedding
does) is an issue.

The option for setting @embed to false is, as you say, to ensure that
data is not embedded if it's undesirable. Sometimes you just want to get
the link (@id) to some data when you frame, you don't want all of the
node's associated data.

--
Dave Longley