Re: Resolutions for features at risk [JSON-LD]

From: Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:51:33 -0400
To: public-linked-json@w3.org
On 06/03/2013 07:35 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Monday, June 03, 2013 12:15 AM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>> On Jun 2, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>>> If a consumer really doesn't like the literal values, it can, e.g.,
>>> round-trip the data through the RDF conversion algorithms to convert
>>> them to native types. Processors might also offer helper methods to
>>> do this without having to go through RDF - I plan to add one to
>>> mine. This also has the advantage that the user can select what to
>>> transform (e.g., http://schema.org/Number).
>> That's a pretty good idea, and I could support that.
> Asking you and Sandro directly: Would it address your concerns if we would
> change the default value of useNativeTypes to false and add a statement
> saying that consumers can convert literals to native types by round-tripping
> through RDF?
>
> Would you support changing the conversion to include all XSD numeric types
> (not sure about xsd:decimal) if useNativeTypes = true.
>
> Would you support changing the conversion of JSON numbers to always produce
> xsd:doubles?

This question was for Gregg and Sandro, but I don't think that I would
support *always* converting JSON numbers to xsd:doubles. I'd like this
use case to be supported:

Read some data from RDFa that has a datatype of xsd:integer. Convert the
data to JSON-LD w/native number conversion on. Work with the data,
possibly modifying the number. Convert the data to back to RDF (N-Quads)
where the value (object) has an xsd:integer datatype and it looks like
an integer (not a double).

This use case is currently supported by the spec.

--
Dave Longley
CTO