RE: Resolutions for features at risk [JSON-LD]

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 13:35:48 +0200
To: "'Linked JSON'" <public-linked-json@w3.org>, "'W3C RDF WG'" <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
On Monday, June 03, 2013 12:15 AM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> > If a consumer really doesn't like the literal values, it can, e.g.,
> > round-trip the data through the RDF conversion algorithms to convert
> > them to native types. Processors might also offer helper methods to
> > do this without having to go through RDF - I plan to add one to
> > mine. This also has the advantage that the user can select what to
> > transform (e.g., http://schema.org/Number).
>
> That's a pretty good idea, and I could support that.

Asking you and Sandro directly: Would it address your concerns if we would
change the default value of useNativeTypes to false and add a statement
saying that consumers can convert literals to native types by round-tripping
through RDF?

Would you support changing the conversion to include all XSD numeric types
(not sure about xsd:decimal) if useNativeTypes = true.

Would you support changing the conversion of JSON numbers to always produce
xsd:doubles?

We could also recommend (non-normatively) that JSON-LD processors implement
helper methods to do this without going through RDF, i.e., allowing it in a
manner which preserves the document's structure.