Re: Intent to close ISSUE-205

On 15/01/13 23:32, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> Hmm... what would you propose as alternative? Keep using "IRI"? Use "JSON-LD
> URL"? Talk about "links" instead and in the few places it actually matters
> use IRI? Use a different term altogether?
I do take the point that some people in the target developer community
may not be familiar with the term "IRI", but IMHO this should be dealt
with by linking to http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3987, and if necessary
including an explanation of the relationship between IRIs and URIs in
the spec. I would say that in any formal spec there will be terms which
are unfamiliar to some readers, and the appropriate way to mitigate that
is to use terms consistently and to include or refer to clear and
explicit definitions. I don't think it's too much to ask JSON-LD
developers to understand what an IRI is; if they are going to conflate
IRIs and URLs, aren't they going to make mistakes in practice?

I would consider myself a web developer (though not primarily a
Javascript developer), and for me personally, understanding terms like
"IRI" is not a challenge. The challenge for me in reading the JSON-LD
spec has been in trying to understand it in terms of the RDF model
(which I do understand). Thats where redefinition of terms would
actually make that more challenging.

--
Conal Tuohy
HuNI <http://huni.net.au/> Technical Coordinator