Fwd: Re: XMPP and JSON-LD?

Hi, I've asked on XMPP related mailing list about opinion on JSON-LD, must admit still need to catch up with your work here myself! Could someone comment on the JSON-LD limitation in context Jack have mentioned below? Thanks =)

--- Begin forwarded message from Jack Moffitt ---
From: Jack Moffitt <jack@metajack.im>
To: strophe <strophe@googlegroups.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:25:32 +0000
Subject: Re: XMPP and JSON-LD?

> I've noticed in one of old threads mention of speed gain using JSON. Someone reply on lack of extensibility using it, lately I found very active group working on JSON-LD (JSON Linked Data)
> http://json-ld.org/
> http://www.w3.org/community/json-ld/

It's easy to see why JSON fails here. If I decide I want to add data
to the "name" tag, I can't in JSON. It's a string, so it can't be
extended. JSON-LD let's me override the meaning of that tag, but then
no one else will understand the original meaning.

You'd have to create sibling tags that extend it, and then it just
becomes a big mess.

Compare this to XML:

<name>John Lennon</name>

which I can extend easily:

<name myns:type="musician">
  John Lennon
  <myns:pronunciation>....</myns:pronunciation>
</name>

Old apps that know nothing of my namespace or it's meaning will still
see exactly the same data, and I didn't have to create extension
points in unrelated areas of the document.

For XMPP, these are real issues, as this kind of extension is what the
protocol is built on.

jack.

--- End forwarded message ---