Re: Updated Editor's Draft of JSON-LD Syntax

Markus,

I am sorry but... I am not convinced by your proposal. I do not see the real added value of the extra triples you generate, while it is not clear what the role is. From a purely RDF point of view, it is an arbitrary choice of three subjects that you pull from the dataset and declare as <data> but that is not really meaningful when we are talking about a graph and not a tree or a forest. And RDF is a general Graph. If one forgets about the RDF relation of JSON-LS, then again it is misleading to an author to suddenly see a property that has a special, predefined meaning, while all other JSON-LD specific processing predicates are of the "@..." class (and are not used to generate/represent data).

My preferred approach would be very close to the current idiom, just to separate it from the usage "@id" because I find that it currently overloads semantics. While you guys have reduced the number of "@..." predicates whenever the meaning was similar (e.g., "@type") and I agree with that, this case is different; I think this is where a separate, dedicated "@..." is necessary. Something like:

{
  "@context" : { .... },
  "@data" : [
   ]
}

What this would mean is that, _formally_, the pattern above is the general format of JSON data. That seems to be fairly clear, semantically. Additionally, the JSON-LD syntax would allow for fairly obvious shorthands, namely:

{
  "@context" : { .... },
  "@data" : { "@id" : "http://blabla" ... }
}

which is equivalent to:

{
  "@context" : { .... },
  "@data" : [ { "@id" : "http://blabla" ... } ]
}

and

{
   "@context" : { ... },
   "@id" : "http://blabla",
   ... other statements ...
}

is equivalent to

{
   "@context" : { ... },
   "@data" : {
      "@id" : "http://blabla",
      ... other statements ...

Some fall back rules are necessary if the author has

{
   "@context" : { ... },
   "@id" : "http://blabla",
   ... other statements ...
}

probably merging the @data section with a new object defined by the rest.

This means that by, again, _formally_ we have a clean definition, we also get the simplicity of today for the usual cases, while covering a missing, albeit necessary, functionality...

My 2 cents...

Ivan

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/