Type Coercion is confusing (ISSUE-34)

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:11:13 +0200
To: <public-linked-json@w3.org>
OK.. last but not least I would like to discuss the type coercion feature
which I find a bit confusing.

The reason is that it works the other way round as it is normally expected
by developers/programmers. An exemplary type coercion definition looks as
follows:

"@coerce":
{
  "xsd:integer": "age",
  "@iri": "homepage"
}

Which says that age is an integer and homepage is an IRI. I expect that an
average developer would try to specify it exactly the other way round:

"@coerce":
{
  "age": "xsd:integer",
  "homepage": "@iri"
}

What was the rationale of doing it the other way round? Isn't it even in the
processing algorithms more handy if it is stored in the second form?