Re: Compact forms of language literals

From: Thomas Steiner <tomac@google.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 09:22:22 +0200
To: Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>
Cc: public-linked-json@w3.org
Niklas, all,

I think this is a very reasonable suggestion. Being able to declare
the default language can be very valuable. I believe we should go with
the simplest solution, which is your solution 1. We could align
ourselves with the way you declare languages in (X)HTML [1], where you
can declare the language on the top level of the document (<html
lang="en">). Personally I'm also a big friend of HTTP headers
(remember the @context discussion?) to keep the actual payload clean,
so I could also imagine an HTTP header like "Content-Language: en".
The overall opinion with @context was that HTTP headers are not
considered the most suitable solution for a number of reasons. Long
story short, your solution 1 ({…, "@language": "en",…}) works perfect
for the needs I see.

Best,
Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/language-decl/

--
Thomas Steiner, Research Scientist, Google Inc.