Re: Why Framing and Normalization

On 2 September 2011 18:04, Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> The publisher can publish JSON-LD in whatever format they want to. It is the
> applications that must do whatever framing is appropriate for their
> application. Applications simply expect an incoming graph and are agnostic
> about its JSON structure. All of the code for the application will be
> written according to an expected particular structure; that application
> simply frames incoming data according to it.

This is what I don't get. Let's say the publisher publishes data in an
arbitrary format. The consumer-developer will have to write custom
code to make the data match their application requirements. With the
current JSON-LD, the format is relatively complex but the developer
can make it match their requirements using framing. To do that they'll
have to learn how to use framing - a new little language which really
requires some knowledge of the RDF model. I don't see how this system
makes things easier for the developer.

An alternative that involves
> framing via web services has been discussed briefly on the mailing list in
> this thread (I believe):
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-linked-json/2011Aug/0052.html

It makes more sense if the work's done by the publisher, this is
closer to the linked data API kind of idea.

--
http://dannyayers.com