Re: JSON-LD Basic

On 6/27/11 1:54 AM, glenn mcdonald wrote:

>     Glenn, Brian, Kingsley,
>
>     Is this more along the lines of what you had in mind?
>
>     http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/basic/
>

> Well, there's less of it, so in that sense it's more /like/ what I had
> in mind. But I actually wanted a simple specification, not a subset of
> a complex specification. There's a big difference. You have to be
> willing to actually throw some stuff out, not just move it under a
> different subheading. I think this still reads like an RDF appendix,
> rather than a JSON addendum.

Manu,

Making a spec that is distinct from RDF will not render RDF useless or
deal it a negative blow. In fact, such a spec will ultimately provide
context for RDF appreciation.

Let's have a simple spec for making graphs using EAV/SPO 3-tuples
(triples) where Hyperlinks are used as a Naming mechanism for Objects,
an Addressing mechanism for their Representations, and Reference values
re. "Value" or "Object" slots.

When people start constructing Linked Data graphs on global scale
courtesy of tools that exploit what's outlined above, RDF will become
more interesting based on the fidelity it brings to the table re. data
types and locale matters.

Again, an RDFer worth his or her salt can make an RDF based Linked Data
graph or an RDF graph (no Name resolution obligation i.e., Identifiers
are opaque) from structured data in this form.

In my world view, strength is expressed via openness that is ultimately
never compromises on choice. We have to let people choose how they
pursue Linked Data graph construction. We should never covertly mandate
or imply that RDF is inextricably bound to this endeavor. That's simply
wrong and utterly inconsistent with true openness.

If a simply Linked Data spec is delivered, it will gain traction fast.
If its littered with RDF innuendo it will stall, due to the same old RDF
inertia factors.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen