Re: JSON-LD Telecon Minutes for 2011-07-04

On 7/5/11 6:12 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> Kingsley, thanks for the feedback.
>
> If you're requiring as a basic precept that every URI used in an LD graph be de-referencable, this would leave out statements of the set of URIs that are not de-referencable.

Linked Data is about de-referencable URIs. You cannot have a Linked Data
variant where URIs don't resolve to Referent Representations.

>   This would seem to also include URNs.
TimBL's meme focuses on HTTP URIs, but you can have resolvers for other
URI schemes. For instance, via Webfinger (which leverages Hammer Stack)
you can have resolvable mailto: acct: scheme URIs. Only problem is that
when you place those URIs in the Address bars of browsers they won't
resolve, but you can flip the script by providing a URL which is how you
trigger the custom resolver.

>   I don't think it's appropriate to limit JSON-LD to use only de-referencable URIs.

I assume "LD" means "Linked Data" if it does, then de-referencable URIs
are mandatory. The issue here is that we are conflating graph
construction with linked data. These matters are distinct.

>   However, I do believe that a best practice (where feasible) is to use de-referencable URIs, where a suitable representation is returned.

Yes, but Linked Data != best practice. Its about the use of hyperlinks
(with specific de-reference / indirection behavior) as mechanism for
"whole data object representation" via eav/spo based directed graphs.
> Otherwise, can you suggest a re-wording of the LD points in [1] that would be more accurate?

Linked Data Definition:
Use of hyperlinks (resolvable or de-referencable URIs) as mechanism for
"whole data object representation" via eav/spo based graph pictorials.

If you don't like the definition above, you can use TimBL's original
meme modulo "(RDF* and SPARQL)" since this is ultimately the only issue
that irks me re. the revised meme.

What's so irksome about RDF and SPARQL re. original meme?

It takes implementation details and slaps them into a concept that
already somewhat tricky for most to grasp at first pass. Adding RDF and
SPARQL to that just make matters more confusing while pulling in RDF
baggage.

To conclude, you have a choice of two Linked Data definitions, both
insist on de-referencable URIs, they only differ re. status, role, and
importance of RDF and SPARQL.

If the mission of JSON-LD is clear i.e., it doesn't make the fatal
mistake of seeking to be "all things to all men" we can get past this
vital matter re. Linked Definition.

Note, there's nothing wrong with your position re. graphs where
de-referencable URIs are optional, the only issue is calling that Linked
Data just muddies the waters further re. Linked Data.  How about
separating JSON based directed graphs from the linked data variant?

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen