Linking to external context definition

From: Alexandre Passant <alex@seevl.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 20:45:40 +0100
To: public-linked-json@w3.org
Hi,

I've just been through the JSON-LD spec, since we're exposing JSON
data in seevl [1] in a somehow similar fashion, and I'm wondering if
there's any plan to link a "@context" to an external definition,
similarly to RDFa profiles.

Advantages would be:
- shareable definition of a context (outside the default one)
- hide this from most documents (IMO, the more we hide from existing
RDF / SemWeb principles / serialisations in JSON-LD documents, the
better to reach developers used to common API)
- reduce the bandwidth by exposing only data regarding one concept,
and not all the background required to translate it to RDF

A simple way to do would be to make the value of @context being either
another object or a string / URI - in that case a processor would get
it from here.

Opinions ?

Thanks,

Alex.