Re: IANA Considerations

On 08/19/2011 09:00 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>> Also, we discussed format=context to describe the format of an @context
>> document.
>
> Yes, we should add that as well. I think it would also be interesting to
> link from a context document to a data document as Glenn proposed:

Who, on this mailing list, currently needs this feature for an
application that they're building? I'm not saying that we shouldn't do
it - I'm just wondering who can't accomplish what they want to
accomplish without this feature.

That is, why wouldn't fetching the JSON you want to interpret as JSON-LD
and injecting a pre-known context into the returned object work?

>> On 07/06/2011 11:46 AM, glenn mcdonald wrote:
>>> If it's a goal to be able to impose context on an "existing" JSON
>>> feed, it might be even more effective, instead of allowing @context
>>> to point to an external file, to invert this and have a context file
>>> that can point to a data file. That way the data file itself can be
>>> completely untouched.
>>
>> Would something like this work for you, Glenn?
>>
>> {
>>    "@context": "http://example.org/microblog",
>>    "@data": "http://foo.bar/posts/15"
>> }
>
> We could define an optional "data" or "instance" MIME type parameter for
> JSON-LD context documents. TO link from an data/instance document to a
> JSON-LD context document we could use a link header (RFC5988), e.g.:
>
> Link:<http://www.example.com/context.jsonld>; rel="describedby";
> type="application/ld+json";

This is an interesting direction. I like it because we don't have to
introduce another keyword to JSON-LD. The down-side is that JSON REST
APIs would have to be modified to include the Link header. That may not
be difficult in some cases, but may be impossible in other cases. We
should discuss it on the call.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Uber Comparison of RDFa, Microformats and Microdata
http://manu.sporny.org/2011/uber-comparison-rdfa-md-uf/