Re: Section 4: LDPR/non-LDPR formal definitions

On 3/26/13 2:40 PM, Erik Wilde wrote:
> hello henry.
>
> On 2013-03-26 10:03 , Henry Story wrote:
>> On 26 Mar 2013, at 17:25, Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>> some may be dereferencable, but you don't know which, and you don't
>>> know the service semantics of doing so.
>> That is not anymore the status quo in RDF land. As Richard just
>> pointed out, the spec defining
>> RDF graphs says, when explaining what the IRIs in an RDF graph mean
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#referents )
>
> i am really wondering what makes you think that the status quo of RDF
> being an URI-centric data model has changed in any way. quoting from
> the section you linked to:
>
> "Perhaps the most important characterisitic of IRIs in web
> architecture is that they can be dereferenced, and hence serve as
> starting points for interactions with a remote server. This
> specification, however, is not concerned with such interactions. It
> does not define an interaction model. It only treats IRIs as globally
> unique identifiers in a graph data model that describes resources."
>
> some IRIs can be dereferenced, others not (RDF allows you to use any
> URI scheme you like). how to dereference IRIs (i.e., how to behave
> when actually engaging in hypermedia interactions) is out of scope of
> RDF, as the spec itself says. how much more clear could the spec be?
>
> cheers,
>
> dret.

Yes, that helps distinguish RDF (the model) from associated media types.
Drilling down further, we look at the media type definition for
text/turtle [1] it does infact cover de-reference and denotation. What
it doesn't cover is the heuristic whereby denotation and de-reference
are combined to produce a specific kind of interaction; one that
specifically results in a URI resolving to an RDF based Document that
describes said URI's referent.

Links:

1. http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/turtle -- Turtle
media type definition (Henry: one option would be to update this
definition such that is clearly incorporates the Linked Data denotation
and de-reference heuristic I described above)

2. http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/html -- HTML media
type definition (Erik: in reading this document I don't see how the HTML
media type is an exemplar for Hypermedia interaction clarity by virtue
of media type definition).

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen