Re: Section 4: LDPR/non-LDPR formal definitions

On 26 Mar 2013, at 15:43, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 3/26/13 10:39 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>>
>>> You can publish html with all the links broken, and that will still be correct html. Pages that publish information pointing to broken links are just a lot less interesting and useful to use, and people tend not to link to such pages. Just as a road is still a road even if in a dangerous neighborhood.
>>
>> Yes, but the browser will still render the HTML page with broken links if it's served as text/html. It might not do so if it's served as text/plain.

Indeed. If it is served as text/plain it is should show you just the ascii with no interpretation of the
tags as html tags.

> To be clearer:
>
> text/html will be rendered to a page comprised of broken links.
>
> text/plain might not even be rendered in a manner to produces a page with any functional links modulo invocation content sniffing heuristic on the part of the browser.

This is easy to test. I put up a text/plain page here:
   http://bblfish.net/tmp/2013/03/26/htmlServedAsText.html

$ curl -i http://bblfish.net/tmp/2013/03/26/htmlServedAsText.html
HTTP/1.1 200 OK