Re: Section 4: LDPR/non-LDPR formal definitions

On 26 Mar 2013, at 13:43, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 3/26/13 5:41 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>>> True, but if it's just a parameter on the media type then we can mostly just ignore it…
>> I don't think we're here to create standards that we will ignore in order
>> to help some people overcome problems that they only thought existed.
>>

> Bearing in mind that we do have a problem re. RDF and RDF based Linked Data conflation that's hidden via best practices adopted by RDF based Linked Data tools implementers. What would you suggest as a solution? We have to solve this problem.

There is no problem here. Linked Data is the way RDF is meant to be published. If you link to a document
that has links that don't resolve it is a dead document: avoid it. Just as one should not link to web
pages whose links are all broken or that are lying ( other than with a rel=nofollow link )

> I believe Erik's "text/plain" and "text/html" analogy frames the problem nicely. For instance, look back to the thread between yourself and Andy about relative URIs and RDF graphs [1][2]. We have a single media type serving two distinct functions i.e., graph expression (relative URIs are fine here) and actual graph serialization (relative URIs aren't acceptable here).

We don't. relative URIs are part of the turtle standard. We are just specifying clearly
how these relative uris are meant to be interpreted in a POST. There is an issue open for
improving the spec text on this, but there is no need for a new media type, and it would
make no sense to invent one for this purpose. It would be shot down for sure during review.

> Links:
>
> 1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2012Oct/0132.html -- sample post from relative URIs and RDF graphs thread .
> 2. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2013Mar/0095.html -- ditto  .
>
> --