Re: A modest attempt to re-open ISSUE-20

On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 17:11 +0100, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> James,
>

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM, James Leigh <james@3roundstones.com>
> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 10:03 +0100, Henry Story wrote:
>         >
>         > The relevant section of the Turtle spec is section 6.3
>         > http://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/#relative-iri
>         >
>         >
>         > Notice that you cannot use NTriples to do what you want
>         either, since
>         > you cannot
>         > know when creating a resource what the URI of the created
>         resource is
>         > going to be.
>         > You would need to only use blank nodes in the graph
>         produced, which
>         > would be
>         > to say the least very awkward.
>

>         In Callimachus, when a resource is created there is no funny
>         base-uri
>         going on (we use the RDF model). Although we use sparql-update
>         format,
>         any RDF format would work equally well for us including
>         NTriples.
>
>         Lets calls the to-be-created resource URI the entity URI. All
>         the
>         triples that are to-be-inserted to the store must either have
>         a blank
>         node subject, have a subject URI of the entity URI, or have a
>         subject
>         URI of the entity URI plus a fragment identifier. This makes
>         it very
>         clear what the entity URI is.
>

> But it prevents you from POSTing an *incoming* graph to the entity
> resource...
>
> What if I want to create a person and state that "I know this
> person" ?

In Callimachus, you would use two requests. The first one (POST) to
create this new person resource and a second request (PATCH) to update
another person with the statement "I know them". It's fairly easy and
makes sense when you treat triples as belonging to their subject
resource.

Graphs are created/manipulated with a different set of requests and are
handled separately.

Regards,
James