Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-19: Adressing more error cases, as is

Hey again,

> On 06/10/2013 10:45 AM, Martynas Jusevičius wrote:
>>
>> Lets step back from the philosophical discussion a bit. By defining a
>> media type per problem domain,
>

> That is _not at all_ what was proposed. We would have to do it only
> once, in the context of LDP. You're pretty much on your own with your
> domain model from there. I hope you feel reassured with the approach
> then :-)

I haven't read 100% of the thread, but wasn't the proliferation of
(RDF) media types one of the main issues?

>> you would break Linked Data for
>> existing RDF software as it would not be able to recognise custom
>> types.
>

> That's a very interesting argument. Can you please say which softwares
> would be broken? And why?

Any software that uses a mapping between media types and RDF syntaxes.
Which syntax is it supposed to use to read
application/api-problem+turtle or application/ldp+turtle
representations? Or should it make that decision based on the
"+turtle" token?

Here are examples from Jena's Fuseki and my Graphity code -- both use
such mappings for content negotiation:
http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.apache.jena/jena-fuseki/0.2.4/org/apache/jena/fuseki/FusekiLib.java#FusekiLib.langFromContentType%28java.lang.String%29
https://github.com/Graphity/graphity-browser/blob/master/src/main/java/org/graphity/client/util/DataManager.java

>> You would also prevent generic web application design, as a
>> generic application cannot build on a vocabulary or type system that
>> is uncontrolled.
>

> That's again interesting. Can you please elaborate? For example, what
> do you mean by "uncontrolled"?

With uncontrolled I mean that a mapping using uncontrolled types
cannot be included in generic software, as it is not standardized and
its full extent is unknown. There is a dozen RDF syntaxes, each with
its own media type -- any software can easily have a mapping for that.
If every service or API begins to offer its own media type, generic
software can no longer maintain such mapping.