Re: LDPR Interaction Model on Create

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM, John Arwe <johnarwe@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I found part of this response acid-reflux-inducing.

This doesn't appear to be helpful, I've read your responses and can't see
why this reaction.

> > > So shall we include the interaction model header in all the POST
> creation
> > > examples?
> >
> > POST creation of LDPCs, yes.  POST creation of LDPRs, no.
>
> I suspect
>
> > POST creation of LDPCs, yes.
>
> should be read to mean
>
> > POST creation to LDPCs, yes.
>
> was that your intent?  i.e. POSTs interpreted as creates, when the
> request-URI is an existing LDPC, include the rel=type that supplies
> client's desired interaction model on the "to be created" resource.  Not to
> be confused with the "LDPC creating LDPC" on the 5.2.3.4 Note, which was my
> initial reading of your intent.
>
> And the corresponding change for
>
> > POST creation of LDPRs, no.
>
> ...?  Since LDP does not constrain POST on LDPRs other than LDPCs, nor
> does it mention creation requests sent to LDPRs other than LDPCs, sensible
> to have no rel=type.  Not to be confused with the alternative "when
> creating an LDPR, ..." interpretation, which would be easy to confuse it
> with as written.

Since everything on an LDP server is an LDPR, seems unnecessary for the
client to tell the LDP server on a creation request that the resource is a
resource.  That is simply my point.  This only comes up when creating
something that is "more" than a plain old LDPR, such as a container.
Therefore you have to be explicit.  Though, the counterpoint is that if a
client would leave it unspecified on the request the server could guess
LDPC interaction model, maybe not what the client wanted but it should have
been clear in the first place.

> > ....  I'm not
> > sure what including type="LDPR" would mean when posting a LDPR to a
> > LDPC, as it should not affect the already set interaction model of the
> > LDPC.  Perhaps that is some extension to indicate on a per-request to
>
> As written, this sounded to me like you meant "when creating an LDPR by
> posting its representation to an existing LDPC, ..." but ow my head if that
> was your intent.

I was trying to be clarify (I see clearly that didn't work) that there
isn't some expectation that clients can set the interaction model on a per
request basis, it can only be set on create (at least only way we have
spec'd it).

- Steve

Best Regards, John