Re: ldp wishlist for crosscloud - QUERY HTTP verb -> SEARCH?

> On 11 Nov 2014, at 20:25, Steve Speicher <sspeiche@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Some quick thoughts from me on this thread....
>
> For me it seems like it is too soon to start lobbying for a new HTTP method when we don't have have a draft of a spec.  Sandro even mentioned needing some time to flush the design out.
>
> Regarding PATCH as an example, this started out as an extension to POST and grew with enough demand that the PATCH method was standardized but support is still limited.  Even saying you need QUERY, you have a long road to getting it standardized let alone widely deployed.  I would suggest to tunnel it through POST like PATCH was originally done, then that would give you plenty of ammo when going forward for standardization.

Yes, that’s called a SPARQL endpoint :-) It’s well known and widely deployed. And there are
other equivalent ones for other query endpoints.

> Looking around at other standards that have introduced new query-related methods, WebDAV comes to mind, I see they have the SEARCH verb [1] but its definition is quite limited within that spec.

very nice!

WebDAV was not the success that people had hoped it would be, but it is undeniably  widely deployed,
with some very successful protocols such as Subversion, the HTTP versioning protocol.

The SEARCH verb leaves everything open to the content type, so we can put a SPARQL Query
content type if we want to. The only requirement from the WebDAV spec is that  SEARCH be
like GET,  ie. that it not modify the resource. Just what I was looking  for.

> I also think it might be overstating it to say that POST means create, therefore we need QUERY.  POST means many different things, though the examples referenced by HTTP [2] lists mostly creation scenarios.  It is quite often used to mean: transform, notify, query, …

Yes, that is the problem with it, as specified by the PATCH RFC: it is too general.
One can also think of it as always either appending to a resource, or creating a new one. So in that
case you think of every query as a new resource. This is why an intermediary cache cannot really
aggregate the results from a number of queries to create  full view of the resource as it gets more information
about it: every resource query resource is independent of the others.

> I'm not saying this QUERY method may not be a good idea, just not sure it's something that I personally would put much energy into supporting.  You can simply flag an end-point as accepting POST and accepting a certain format (Accept-Post), though doesn’t say whether you can execute or create queries of that format, still need outside information.

It looks to me that one probably does not need any support anymore for SEARCH: If it is in WebDAV
then its deployed enough. And it has the right semantics for us.

So I just wanted this thread to make the group more conscious about the realisability of
SEARCH, and the use of it.  Having done this work, I think we can take time to think it
through.