Re: TWO PROPOSALs involving Prefer - volunteering for the army

On February 28, 2014 9:42:05 AM EST, Roger Menday <roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:

>>> ldp:DirectContainer or an ldp:IndirectContainer will want to do a
>>> conditional POST.  Otherwise how
>membership
>>> properties between the time it read the content and the time the
>POST
>>> arrived?
>>> suggest that an ldp:(In)directContainer should not have its etag
>change
>>> unless those properties

>>> understand the membership triples before POSTing. I'm pretty sure
>many
>>> of us would formally object to such a proposal.
>>>
>>> I disagree. this is already in the current spec. I am just making
>what
>>> is there a bit more explicit by
>>> taking a admittedly extreeme example. If you want to formally object
>>> what would be your
>>> grounds for doing so?
>>
>> My grounds would be that it would require clients to do things I do
>not believe they will do.   I could be persuaded by evidence of what
>real clients actually do.
>>
>> Your examples are constraints on the server not the client.   When I
>buy something from the grocer, it precipitates a whole chain of events,
>some of which are visible to me and some of which are not.   I don't
>need to understand them all before I buy something.    If I were
>required to understand them all, I probably wouldn't buy as much.
>>
>> You want every client to hard code the membership predicate it's
>going to find in a container and refuse to post if it's not there?
>

>A client will need to understand (and like) what will be created and
>how it will be linked to decide if it wants to go ahead.

I'm not sure what you mean by "understand" and "like" if you don't mean the client MUST get fetch the membership configuration and MUST match a pattern hardcoded into the client software, including the predicate URI.

I think that's overly restrictive, by quite a bit.     It could be useful to prevent a class of error, I suppose, but I think it will cause more problems than it solves.

I'm fairly sure most client implementors will ignore this rule, because it's easier on them and will probably result in fewer user complaints.

    - Sandro