Re: clarifying containment vs membership

Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote on 02/19/2014 01:16:43 PM:

> FWIW, given my current understanding, I strongly support a
> prohibition on changing membership triples.    The only way to put
> something in a container should be POST, or PUT to the container's
> declared URL space.   And the only way to take it out should be to
> DELETE it.

Doesn't that prohibit adding an existing resource to a container?

> At the moment, I'm seeing a lot of cost and no value to letting
> things randomly and unpredictably make containment and membership
> not align with each other.

I can certainly sympathize with that and I've been going back and forth
between the two options but 1) I see value in allowing existing resources
to be added as members (via PATCH or possibly PUT of the
containerResource), 2) I find it more justifiable to have to deal with
both containment and membership if containment is limited to "managed"
resources while membership is not than if there is a direct mapping
between the two.

> (I do support them being different for non-information resources.
> In that case, the non-information resource is a member, and the
> information resource is contained.     There's probably a more-
> efficient way to represent that case, but whatever.)

Well, we had a more efficient way with ldp:created that was to be used in
that specific case but several people insisted on having the containment
relationship materialized in all cases.

> Of course people want membership-only "containers", but those are
> just RDF Collections or Containers  (Seq and List), or things that
> look like LDP containers, but there's no need for the server to know
> about them.   It just needs to know about containment so it can
> manage the lifecycle.

I've heard that argument before but I think this misses the initial idea
of the having a standard usage pattern on how to manage collections in
LDP.