Re: Chewing on the Abstract

I agree the abstract should give the reader enough to decide whether this
spec might be of interest to them but I think what Cody is proposing is a
bit too much text. We shouldn't turn this into an introduction either.
It'd be nice to find a middle ground.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Standards - IBM
Software Group

ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote on 12/08/2014 03:49:35
PM:

> From: ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
> To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org
> Date: 12/08/2014 03:50 PM
> Subject: Re: Chewing on the Abstract
>
> Sorry, Steve, but I agree with Cody!
>
> TimBL once said that the abstract should tell you what the document is
> about and tell you enough about it to decide whether you want to read
> further.  So, I think a couple of paras is better than a single
sentence.

> Cody, I like your words.  We can fine tune but generally OK.
>
> Regards, Ashok
>
> On 12/8/2014 5:43 PM, Steve Speicher wrote:
> > Cody,
> >
> > Thanks for helping with this.  First, I will say that I believe the
> > abstract should be very short: 1 or 2 sentences.  People (like myself)
> > have a very short attention span.  They'll just need enough to know if
> > they should the intro.  I believe the introduction should elaborate a
> > bit more such as the abstract you provide.
> >
> > I personally like a variant such as this:
> >
> > [[
> > LDP merges the HTTP interaction model with the
> > RDF data model to create a new, but familiar system for working with
> > Linked Data resources. LDP defines the LDP Container to which a client
> > may POST content and the server will create a new member resource.
> > ]]
> >
> > I think it would go without saying that "LDP does more" than they
> > abstract but this hits on the key parts, perhaps?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Steve Speicher
> > http://stevespeicher.me
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Cody Burleson
> <cody.burleson@base22.com> wrote:
> >> Team,
> >>
> >> Recently, we've been discussing some concerns about the current
abstract on
> >> the specification. Some of us believe that with a little more
"chewing" on
> >> it together, we might be able to elicit something more informative
and
> >> perhaps also a little more compelling.
> >>
> >> Here's what I have so far as a rough idea of what I think is an
> improvement.
> >> You'll see at the end that I just have kind of fallen off with
dot-dot-dot.
> >> That is because I haven't yet found the right closing statement;
> I was still
> >> in-process.

HTTP. It
HTTP
> of data using
> >>
> >> I had also started experimenting with this as a possible alternative
near
> >> the end...

> Abstracted as
> >>
> >> If you have opinions for or against, please share.
> >>
> >> For your convenience, here is what is currently written on the spec
as of
> >> now:

> >> Here are some other statements that were made amongst the group. I
have
> >> already tried to capture some of the ideas expressed by these:
> >>
> >> "Linked Data Platform (LDP) defines rules around HTTP access to web
> >> resources, some based on RDF, to provide an architecture for
read-write
> >> Linked Data on the web."
> >> I think Philippe said that he didn't know what a "read-write Linked
Data