Re: the state of ldp-patch, and a procedural proposal

On 10/3/13 1:26 PM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> hello all.
>
> On 2013-10-02 17:22 , "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>>> I believe he means relative URI
>>> <#this> is typically a relative HTTP based hash URI. Just as <this> is
>> usually a relative HTTP based hashless URI :-)
>> Example:
>> <#this> and
>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2013Oct/0017.html#this>
>>
>> more than likely (subject to responses to this post) denote this post .
> just to be crystal-clear on this, because this can make a relevant
> difference: the fragment part of a URI
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.5) does not really define a
> "separate resource) from the non-fragment part (what's called the "primary
> resource" in the spec). it simply identifies a secondary resource that has
> not been deemed important enough to be assigned its own "primary resource
> URI", and instead has an identity that only exists (and makes sense)
> within the context of the primary resource. for web interactions,
> fragments do not even matter, because their interpretation is client-side
> only:
>
> "As such, the fragment identifier is not used in the scheme-specific
> processing of a URI; instead, the fragment identifier is separated from
> the rest of the URI prior to a dereference, and thus the identifying
> information within the fragment itself is dereferenced solely by the user
> agent, regardless of the URI scheme." (RFC 3986)
>
> cheers,
>
> dret.

It isn't complicated.

A URI denotes an Entity. That's it.

There are many kinds of Entities, perceptible across a variety of media.
The beauty of HTTP URIs that leverage the fragment ID is that they
enable you denote any kind of entity without introducing ambiguity,
while also delivering many other HTTP virtues on a platter.

<#this> denotes a Post .
<> denotes a Document.

I perceive the Post through the Document (in this case either an HTML
page rendered by my Browser or .eml file rendered by my Thunderbird
Email client) .

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software