Re: Discovery/Affordances (Issue-32/Issue-57)

All --

There's a strong blur between HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol)
and HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) happening, and I am concerned
that a similar blurring may be happening between LDP and LD (whether
expressed as Turtle or otherwise).

For instance --

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Wilde, Erik wrote:

> HTML clearly allows you to expect image/*, but then again when
> you request some URI you GET whatever the server decides to
> serve at that point in time, and maybe the link changed over
> time from serving image/* to text/plain.

That's completely inaccurate.  Unless you substitute HTTP for
HTML.  But that substitution isn't valid throughout the thread
nor post from which I pulled this snippet.

If we cannot even keep relatively well understood things like
HTML and HTTP distinct, how are we to do so with new things
which we are in the process of defining?

Further, analogizing the new things to the old does nothing but
confuse, when those old aren't kept clear and distinct.

Validating HTML is *entirely* distinct from determining whether
a server is HTTP-compliant, and vice versa.  A fully-compliant
HTTP server *may* not deliver *any* HTML content!

Validating Linked Data is and should be distinct from determining
whether a server is LDP-compliant, and vice versa.

(That said, LDP might require that LDP servers *generate* some LD,
and the validity of *that* LD *may* be relevant to determining its
overall compliance with LDP.)

Regards,

Ted