Re: proposal on ldp:profile ( Issue-48 ) -- was: Discovery/Affordances (Issue-32/Issue-57)

On 11 Jun 2013, at 18:56, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Henry,
>
> I understand what the example you cited is about. I just don't understand what this has to do with the problem we are trying to solve. I don't believe this example represents the only possible use of profiles.

I this e-mail here http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2013Jun/0084.html
I asked "what is the profile adding?"
You then answered that you don't really know what it is, but that Erik Wilde would know.
Then he directly quoted RFC6906

> The question isn't "oh, we've got a tool called profiles, what could we do with them?" and then imagine what we might do with them.

Why do you say I imagine a use? I clearly don't: I used the example in the spec Erik Wilde pointed
us to when I asked for clarification on what profiles are.

> The question is: "how can one find out the LDP interaction model is applicable from the HTTP layer, without creating a new mediatype". I believe one possible answer is to use an LDP profile.

So perhaps you can go back to my example, and tell me why it does
not do that. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2013Jun/0090.html

What is the interaction model issue you want to make explicit?

> Given Erik's response to my earlier message I have no reasons to believe he has a problem with the way I propose to use profiles. If that's not the case I'm sure he will let us know.

The only thing we have to go on about his idea of use of profiles is his RFC6906.
When we then use that, you tell us we should not. Is this just a blank check for
Erik Wilde to put anything in here, even if nobody understands, or can we perhaps build
something here?

> The problem we are discussing is primarily a matter of nailing down how one finds out whether the LDP interaction model is applicable.
> This is orthogonal to what you're talking about. I know that from your point of view the interaction model is tied to the LDP vocabulary but we've heard loud and clear that others don't want to do that. So I'm looking for a compromise where both groups can use LDP the way they want.

My example showed how one can explain one interaction model: how one can let
the client know that he should only POST certain types of documents to an LDPC.

> I've put forward a very simple proposal. Please, just take it for what it is.
>
> If you could only accept that this marker is harmless to what you want to do - as I said you can ignore it if you want - and people like Alexandre think it solves their problem we could be done with this and move on.

If I don't know what they want to do, how can I know if it is harmless?

I thought I knew what they wanted to do, and I tried to make that explicit
here:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2013Jun/0090.html

What was wrong with that?

Also this has nothing to do with headers or not. If you can put it in the body, you
can always also put it in a Link Header.

Henry