Re: Proposal for containers

Hi,

On 30/01/13 16:23, Ashok Malhotra wrote:
> OK. Here goes

Good way to move forward :-)

Discussing the models with some colleagues and developers of Marmotta,
we conclude than, like we do sometimes with REST, it is useful to use
the metaphor of a filesystem to check it. In this case LDPC would be
folders and LDPR files. Please, do not follow to a tee, it is just a
attempt to simplify the things.

> Container Model
>
> A. Containers can contain containers
> Containers are LDPRs and should
> be added to contianers like any other LDPR.
>
> B. To add a container to a container, POST a (child) container
> representation to a (parent) container.
>
> C. Thus, a contianer can contain a mix of members and comtainers.
> (Some of the members may be links to LDPRs.)
>
> D. If you GET all members of a
> container that has nested components, you get all the contents,
> members and containers at the top level. That is, you do not get nested
> components.

+1

We still have the issue how to create root container/s... Must any
LDP-compliant server provide it?  Following the metaphor, the filesystem
must needed to be created before adding folders or files to root.

> Composition and Aggregation
>
> E. If you delete a container you delete everything it contains.
> For nested containers this leads to a cascaded delete.
>
> F. If you do not want a member to be deleted when the container is deleted,
> do not include the member in the containers but rather include a link to
> the member in the container.

So LDPC follows the composition model, both for LDPRs and child LDPCs. I
agree. In accordance with the metaphor, rdfs:member (or whatever
ldp:membershipPredicate indicates) will be normal childs of containers,
while links would be similar to (soft) symlinks in a filesystem.

Hope we'll start to converge...

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández