Re: recursive deletion (Re: Model questions)

"Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote on 29-01-2013 14:49:35:

> From: "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com>
> To: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>, Roger Menday
> <roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com>,
> Cc: "public-ldp-wg@w3.org Group" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>
> Date: 29-01-2013 14:50
> Subject: Re: recursive deletion (Re: Model questions)
>
> hello eric.
>
> On 2013-01-29 14:04 , "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org> wrote:
> >It's hard to imagine that hackers checking out LDP will see much value
if
> >it doesn't permit them to create and delete collections, leaving no
crap
> >for them to clean up. On the other hand, it's realy really hard to
> >imagine deployment of recursive-delete in large systems unless they
> >impose the rule "don't delete containers".
>
> why not simply make it work like the web works? if you want your content
> to be under the management of the LDP server, you embed the content, and
> when the collection gets deleted, everything with it gets deleted, too.
if
> you want your content to be separate resources you manage yourself
> (anywhere on the web), you create them (anywhere), and then the content
> gets linked from the LDP entry. when you trash the collection, the links
> disappear, but the content remains unaffected. what's the downside of
such
> a simple and clear model that simply leverages the difference between
> embedding and linking?

+1 I like keeping a simple approach to the issue.

I wrote a email a bit earlier [1] where I mentioned the way some old
desktop system did it, with object residing in a container and objects
having a reflection in a container. The objects that reside in the
container, are deleted when the container gets deleted, deleting a
container with reflections just delete the reflection of the object but
the original stays untouched

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2012Dec/0073.html

Met Vriendelijke Groet / With Kind Regards
Bart van Leeuwen
@semanticfire

# netage.nl
# http://netage.nl