Re: ldp-ISSUE-10 (Guidance around ETags): Include clarifications and guidance around ETags [Linked Data Platform core]

ETags (entity tags) can be strongly or weakly validating:

A strong ETag match indicates byte-for-byte, syntactic equivalence.
A weak ETag match indicates semantic equivalence.

For RDF models, semantic equivalence is more important than strong syntactic equivalence. The same RDF content can be serialized in many different, but semantically equivalent ways. This is true even where the same serialization format is used.

* I propose that an LDP server should return only _weak_ ETags for LDP Resources and Containers.
* For other kind of resources then _strong_ eTags should be used.

Weak ETags are prefixed with 'W/'.
e.g. "W/1234567890" instead of "1234567890"

Steve.