Re: ldp-ISSUE-24 (remain deleted): Should DELETED resources remain deleted? [Linked Data Platform core]

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:56:58 +0200
Cc: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com>, "Linked Data Platform (LDP) Working Group" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Hi all,

>>> Any server is allowed to promise something more.
>>
>> Only with an HTTP extension, yes.

Where does RFC2616 say that you need an HTTP extension to provide additional guarantees?

> I can think of three interpretations of "HTTP extension":
>
>  1 HTTP Extension Framework
>    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/ietf-http-ext/draft-frystyk-http-extensions-03
>
>  2 Task-specific protocol extensions like WebDav or HTTP Over TLS
>
>  3 Task-specific uses of the protocol such as those that might be
>    described by WSDL, WADL or only human-readable documentation, e.g.
>    Twitter GET statuses/mentions_timeline
>    https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api/1.1/get/statuses/mentions_timeline
>
> I believe 3 is in line with the LDBP Submission.

Interpretation 3 would indeed be a match, but maybe it can be simpler:
LDP describes a class of servers that obey a set of properties in addition to those of RFC2616.
In that sense, itís not an extension but an application of HTTP.

Best,

Ruben