Re: ldp-ISSUE-24 (remain deleted): Should DELETED resources remain deleted? [Linked Data Platform core]

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 10:11:21 +0200
Cc: David Wood <david@3roundstones.com>, "Linked Data Platform (LDP) Working Group" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Hi Mark,

> Hmm. Well, the only way I can see that being the case is if the LDP
> specification is not intended for clients. So, using 404 as an example
> again, even though servers are required to return 404 after a DELETE,
> BPR clients can't assume that will be the case.

I canít see why not.

If S is a BPR server and C is a BPR client, then the following interaction can take place (given sufficient permissions)

C: GET /resource
S: 200 OK
C: DELETE /resource
S: 204 No Content
C: GET /resource
S: 404 Not Found

The behavior of the client and server in the above example is compliant to the HTTP spec.
The LDP spec herein mandates that the last request should be a 404 or 410, while the HTTP spec leaves open what should happen.

Best,

Ruben