Re: Linked Data Platform ISSUE-20: What is the base URI of a POSTed document?

On 10/10/12 15:10, Steve Battle wrote:
> The Relevant Standard:
>
> RFC 3986: Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax
>
> 5.1.  Establishing a Base URI: The base URI of a reference can be
> established in one of four ways:
>
> 1. Base URI embedded in Content.
>
> 2. Base URI of the encapsulating entity. “If no base URI is embedded,
> the base URI of a document is defined by the document's retrieval context.”
>
> 3. URI used to retrieve the entity. “if a URI was used to retrieve the
> base document, that URI shall be considered the base URI.”
>
> 4. Default Base URI (application-dependent)
>
> However, as a POSTed resource has no real retrieval context it appears
> to drop right through levels 2 and 3, leaving us with an application
> dependent choice.
>
> In a linked data context one might then ask , “if a URI _were­_ used to
> retrieve the base document, that URI shall be considered the base URI.”
> In that case (A) is the most natural solution.

The text is more about client-side determination of base URI but if (and
it's arguable) we take the request and response to have the same
determination of base URI, then 5.1.3 applies. "retrieval" is very much
response language but "request URI" is a common concept (with
redirections applied).

If some POST operation causes "<>" to be in the body of the response,
it's the container URI.  It might be seen as odd if the request and
response have different meaning of "<>".

     Andy