Re: Use-Cases and call for help to add descriptions and scenarios.

On 10/3/12 2:53 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> IBM has been struggling with the concept of two way relationships such
> as describes+describedby. While it's convenient to have two links so
> you can navigate from one resource to the other in either direction,
> maintaining those links adds a significant amount of pain and
> constraints.
>
> This is clearly not the way the web of documents works. Anyone can add
> links from their web page to other pages without expecting or
> requiring reciprocity. This makes the web much more agile and
> resilient. But when it comes to data people tend to expect reciprocity
> and sometimes find unidirectional links unacceptable.
>
> I'd like to hear what people's experience has been on that front.

There is a big problem with RDF documents out in the wild re. Linked
Data. A majority of these documents omit statements (triples) that
include the URI denoting the actual description document.

Typical example. Given an RDF based Web document denoted by the URI/URL:
<http://example.org/document/sample.rdf> . The content of this document
would typically contain:

<#SomeSubjectURI> <#SomePredicateURI> <#SomeObjectURI> .

Omitting:

<#SomeSubjectURI> wdrs:describedby
<http://example.org/document/sample.rdf> .
<#SomePredicateURI> wdrs:describedby
<http://example.org/document/sample.rdf> .
<#SomeObjectURI> wdrs:describedby <http://example.org/document/sample.rdf> .

and/or:

<http://example.org/document/sample.rdf> foaf:topic <#SomeSubjectURI> .
<http://example.org/document/sample.rdf> foaf:topic <#SomePredicateURI> .
<http://example.org/document/sample.rdf> foaf:topic <#SomeObjectURI> .

Of course, it could be that at the time of document creation the docs
actual URI/URL is unknown, that notwithstanding, the statements in said
doc could take the form:

<#SomeSubjectURI> wdrs:describedby  <> .
<#SomePredicateURI> wdrs:describedby  <> .
<#SomeObjectURI> wdrs:describedby  <> .

and/or:

<> foaf:topic <#SomeSubjectURI> .
<> foaf:topic <#SomePredicateURI> .
<> foaf:topic <#SomePredicateURI> .

The obvious benefit here is that Linked Data's follow-your-nose pattern
ends up with multiple commencement points that are easy to understand.
For years, we've automatically (or via manually post-processing) added
these triples to tons of RDF documents we've consumed.

RDF does stand for the Resource Description Framework. Ironically, a
majority of RDF documents bear incomplete descriptions  :-)

Kingsley