Re: Creation of Containers

hello all.

On 2012-11-11 13:21 , "Andy Seaborne" <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
wrote:
>On 07/11/12 23:11, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> On 7 Nov 2012, at 22:38, Wilde, Erik wrote:
>>> - designate a magic "container of containers" which essentially works
>>>as a
>>> container factory. when you create a new member in this container, it
>>>by
>>> definition becomes a new container that is then accessible like any
>>>other
>>> container.
>> Yes, that's the model that works well with the current LDP spec. The
>>nice thing about this is that nothing needs to be said about it in the
>>spec -- it's a pure server implementation issue.
>That lacks control on the containers name yet containers represent some
>significant grouping in the server so I'd expect that the choice of name
>matters (e.g. same on several servers, differing just by the host name).

if it's done as a regular (but value-added) member operation, then a
slug-like mechanism could be used. in the end, client-supplied names
always only can be suggestions, and minting URIs is under the sole control
of the server, depending on naming conventions, and already existing URIs.

>The IRC logs example is a good one here - http://w3/irc-logs/2012/12/25
>- in 2013, does the server need to have magic or can it be a client that
>creates 2013, 2013/01, 2013/01/07irc-ldp.ttl (Jan 7th being the first
>Monday in 2013).

i don't think there's any magic required for that, this could just be
server-controlled behavior (outside of the spec, but implemented by that
specific server managing its containers in this specific way). as a user
of this specific service, i would very much prefer for containers to be be
created (and probably even be deleted) on demand, without me having to go
in and create all the required intermediate levels.