Re: Creation of Containers

On 7 Nov 2012, at 23:43, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

> Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> Niclas,
>> Here's my (possibly flawed understanding):
>> On 7 Nov 2012, at 21:38, Niclas Hoyer wrote:
>>> is there a simple way to create a ldp container?
>> No, the client can't tell the server to turn a resource into a container.
>> The server decides what's a container, usually based on domain knowledge. A SIOC server would know that threads should be containers, and would automatically make the resource a container whenever a thread is created.
>> Generic servers that don't have any domain knowledge, but are “just” “dumb” graph stores, can't really use containers.
>
> By LDPR a client can PUT a representation which is considered an LDPC by any client doing a subsequent request on that LDPR.
>
> Any "dumb" server can't stop that, can it?

that's a good point.

What we seem to have here is a problem of distinguishing content from  metadata, or rather knowing what the server is saying and what someone else has published on the server.

So either the server MUST parse RDF representations and take PUTs of documents stating the resource is a container as orders to make that resource a container, or one would have to specify that a resource is a container, by placing such information elsewhere - in the header for example, where it can be argued that the server is making the statement.

Perhaps there are ways to distinguish when the content is server generated - such as a directory listing which is server generated. Perhaps this could be done by giving the server a name and putting that information in the header... Not sure...